Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Trapped Moth

Last night we driving in the car for a rather long time. As we drove I suddenly noticed a moth of sorts fly into the windshield and somehow get stuck under one of the windshield wipers. He struggled and struggled to free himself which proved to be a difficult achievement. The headwind from the 70mph speed added to his disposition. Watching him fight to free himself, I lost myself in thought about this moth. I wondered if he would continue to struggle to become free or if he'd eventually succumb to what most likely was his inevitable fate. How normal would he fly with the damage he sustained during the accident if he did manage to free himself? I wondered if he was at peace being a moth or if he noticed the colors of the more beautiful butterflies and longed to be something he felt he wasn't. It also could be true however, that he was confident in himself just as he was which enabled him to continue to fight and free himself. As I thought of all this I felt true sympathy for this tiny creature being able to relate to some of what he might be feeling. When I turned again to where he was trapped he was gone. I'm not nor will I ever know what happened to him. He could have given up the fight, maybe the wind blew what was left of him away or perhaps he fought so long and hard that he beat the odds and set himself free. Who knows but I hope it was the second.

Can you relate to his struggle?

No comments: