Thursday, July 29, 2010

Triggers


I've been thinking a lot lately about TRIGGERS. I guess maybe because I am trying to be more aware of my thought patterns and feelings. What I've noticed is I sure have a ton of them. In a recent therapy session (yes, I admit I do go to therapy) I couldn't help but smirk when my therapist asked what percentage of time I was worried about or thinking about and being triggered by body image issues. I replied about 90%, but the more I've become aware of my thinking patterns the percentage is probably even higher than that.

Why am I so easily Triggered? I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain most of you can probably relate. I guess noticing them is a step in the right direction... you can't fix something you don't realize is broken but I am so open to suggestions on how to deal with them and not give in to them!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I wouldn't presume to give advice, since you may have already learned about this, but in my life, though my triggers and issues are different, I have found that it is most effective to replace the thoughts that are unhealthy with something else. I've used a mental picture, a story that I design and play out in my mind, a song, reading a book about something else, talking to someone about something else, and anything I can think of to distract myself. Using this method, and a lot of prayer, fasting and priesthood blessings, I have come to the point where my negative triggers are far less potent and frequent. I finally feel a control that I once thought I would never feel.