Sunday, June 20, 2010

Powerless & Unmanageable

In our 12-Step group, we're on Step One. This step states:

We admitted we were powerless over our eating disorder - that our lives had become unmanageable.
We finally had to admit that what we were doing wasn't working.

I wrote a little about my feelings on this subject over on my blog {you can click here to view that post}.

As I continue to read all the 12-Step literature I have ... and I have quite a bit! ... I realize more and more how important it is to become aware of our thoughts and our actions. Once we are aware, we are more able to acknowledge the insanity of what we are doing to ourselves.

In group last Tuesday several people mentioned that their behaviors and thoughts are crazy, insane, or irrational. Becoming aware of what's going on inside of us will help us make the transition to Step Two. The Steps build on each other, laying foundation for each new concept.

I'm so grateful for all the amazing people who come to our EDA group - I learn so much from them and gain strength from their experiences. It's finally clicking that this is how recovery is supposed to work! We can't do it alone, instead we must love and help each other. Following the 12 Steps and learning from one another makes recovery truly possible.

YAY! There's HOPE at the end of the tunnel!

1 comment:

Alaina said...

Thanks for the thoughts! I am so planning and looking forward to the meeting this Tuesday...I have your book to return to you as well :)